These cardamom pistachio vegan Christmas cookies will be the talk of the party! Not only do they look like a work of art, but they’re super tasty too! And you’ll fool all your guests, because no one will know they’re vegan. This recipe is inspired by Food & Drink’s Cardamom Pistachio cookie recipe.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios, shelled
- 1 cup non-dairy butter, room temperature
- 1 egg equivalent using an egg replacer (I used Cannelle, 5g replace, 30ml water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 cup unsweetened plant milk (I used soy)
- splash of vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachio, shelled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- Combine flour and cardamom in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To a food processor, add sugar and 1/2 cup pistachios. Process until finely ground (there will be some large pieces remaining, and that’s ok).
- Transfer pistachio mix to a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, cream pistachio mix with butter until light and fluffy.
- Make your egg equivalent in a small bowl. Add to pistachio and butter mixture, with vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in your flour mixture. Mix on low until flour in just combined.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disc (you will notice the dough is quite soft), wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour a clean surface, roll out the first first (leave the second disc in the fridge) to approximately 3mm thick. Dough will be crumbly, so be sure to flour your rolling pin and roll gently.
- Using a round 6cm cookie cutter (if you have one with scalloped edges, it gives a more interesting look), cut cookies. Gently remove cookies from surface (you may have to use a bench scraper) and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Re-roll remaining dough scraps, getting as many additional cookies as you can. Place baking tray in the fridge.
- Repeat process with the second disc. Allow both trays to chill for at least 15-20 minutes before baking.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, rotating trays half-way through. Bottom of cookies should be slightly brown.
- While cookies are baking, make glaze. Combine powdered sugar, plant milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Glaze should be thick, so add more sugar if needed.
- Let cookies cool on tray for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, spread glaze evenly on each cookie using an offset spatula. Sprinkle with some cranberries and pistachios for a festive look.
If you need more plant-based recipes, nutrition and cooking tips follow me on social @harvesttablenutrition.
And if you make these cardamom pistachio vegan Christmas cookies, share a picture on IG and tag me! I always love to see your creations.
If you’re looking for even more recipes, check out my Stress-Free Guide to a Plant-Based Holiday Meal.