Do you call it dressing or stuffing? I still refer to it as stuffing, even though, well, it’s not stuffed in anything. Basically it’s stuffing without the bird. And I promise you, it’s better than any other plant-based stuffing/dressing you’ve had before.
With the addition of some nuts and plant-based sausages, it’s a higher protein vegan side dish than other stuffings. Best enjoyed warm, but it’s just as good the next day for some leftovers!
1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup wild rice blend
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ cooking onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
fresh herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley) to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1 apple, diced
2 plant-based sausages, cooked (I like Field Roast apple and sage)
1/3 cup dried fruit of choice (golden raisins, cranberries, etc)
¼ cup pecan pieces, toasted
½ cup apple cider, apple juice or vegetable broth
1. Cook the rice. They will have different cooking times, so cook separately. Can cook the night before and chill.
2. Over medium heat, add oil to pan, sauté onion until soft.
3. Add celery to onion and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add cooked rice to onion and celery. Add fresh herbs of choice, salt, and pepper to taste. Add diced apple, and sausage sliced into pieces. Stir until well combined.
5. Add dried fruit of choice and pecans.
6. Add ½ cup liquid of choice (this prevents mixture from drying out by cooking and reheating).
7. Cook until hot and celery and apple are soft.
8. Transfer to serving dish.
If you make this dish, be sure to take a picture and share it on your social media and tag me! I’d love to see your creations.
Follow me on IG @harvesttablenutrition for more plant-based recipes, cooking tips, tricks & info!
And if you’re in search of more seasonal, plant-based, fall recipes, I’ve got just the thing for you. Download my Fall Recipe Book which includes a 7-day meal plan with easy & tasty plant-based recipes.
It’s totally free and you can grab your copy right here